The 8 Cover Letters You Need to Read Now
Cover letters: They strike fear in the hearts of millions, and just uttering the phrase is enough to make a grown man cry. Who the heck writes a good cover letter anyway?
Lucky for you, we searched the web far and wide to bring you the best examples of totally awesome, out of this world cover letters that people have actually written. After all, how can you become a cover letter ninja without seeing some examples beforehand?
- Ever wanted to see a cover letter makeover? Alison Green did a little before-and-after action to show just how awesome your cover letter can be. (Ask A Manager)
- One of the most confusing things about the cover letter writing process is how to adapt your letter to the particular industry you’re applying for. The Guardian did a side-by-side comparison of how to format three different types of cover letters. (The Guardian)
- Can a five-sentence cover letter really be the best cover letter ever? (Harvard Business Review)
- While the jury’s still out on whether this cover letter is terrible or awesome, we can all agree that a little self-deprecation is nice from time to time. (Forbes)
- Why yes, someone did drop an f-bomb in a cover letter to Square space COO Jesse Hertzberg. And yes, he did call it one of the greatest cover letters he’s ever received.(Jesse Hertzberg)
- We wouldn’t necessarily go the exact route of this cover letter writer, but sometimes throwing formality out the window can work in your favor. (The Huffington Post)
- This guy was able to show why having zero experience in the coaching field made him the best man for the head coaching job at the University of North Dakota. Well done, sir. (BuzzFeed)
- Recent grads applying for a not-so-desirable entry-level position may not be sure how to explain why they are good at answering phones or taking out the trash, but one particular applicant handled it perfectly. (mediabistro)